- Clear loft and garage.
- Think about where your furniture will fit in your new home. Take measurements if necessary.
- Arrange for friends and family to help with children or pets on moving day.
- If you are packing yourself, start a bit at a time.
- Notify broadband / telephone / cable and satellite providers. (This will help avoid re-connection delays as some companies need three weeks notice)
- Inform Utilities and Council Tax of your move date.
- Inform Doctor / Dentist / Hospital / School of change of address.
- Arrange to redirect your mail with the Post Office.
- Unwanted items to recycling centre or charity shops.
- Notify Change of address to: Bank, Credit Cards, Savings, Insurance, TV Licence, Driving Licence, Vehicle Registration.
- Notify change of address to all friends and family. Try texting and emailing to save time.
- Discuss removal parking with neighbours at both old and new addresses.
- Label up all keys for new owners.
- Cancel milk and newspapers.
- Confirm removal vehicle parking at both old and new addresses.
- Confirm house insurance is in place for new house.
- Check that the dishwasher and washing machine can be disconnected.
- Make up a catering pack with a kettle.
- Keep valuable items and important documents in a place where they can’t be packed away.
- Take final meter readings for gas, electricity and water.
Download our full checklist here.